At PNNL, we believe it's important to recognize and reward employee performance through our Total Rewards program — a comprehensive portfolio of benefits reaching far beyond the paycheck. Our program strategy helps us attract, retain, evaluate, recognize, and develop the talented staff essential to fulfilling our vision and mission. Total Rewards is PNNL's investment in you. It includes comprehensive benefits, performance and recognition programs, educational programs, work-life balance, and career growth opportunities. With your help, we will continue to sustainably expand our reputation for advancing scientific discovery, and for translating that science into solutions that address the nation's most urgent needs in energy, the environment and national security. Join us!
For Your Contributions
Direct Compensation: PNNL is committed to a total compensation strategy that provides the Laboratory with a competitive, performance-driven, pay delivery system. We strongly believe in rewarding performance and therefore offer a competitive cash compensation program that includes base pay and variable compensation for employees. To support our competitive performance-based pay practices, we make every effort to ensure that our salaries are both externally competitive and internally equitable.
Rewards & Recognition: In order to strengthen the link between pay and performance, we offer a multi-faceted variable pay program based on individual and team performance.
For Your Health & Well Being
Health & Welfare: Our comprehensive coverage includes the following benefits:
- Medical — A choice of three medical plans offered to you and your eligible dependents through Anthem (Blue Cross/Blue Shield) including prescription coverage through CVS Caremark designed to meet your needs as well as your family's needs.
- Vision — There are two vision plans provided through VSP, that covers eye exams and your hardware needs.
- Dental — The Delta Dental PPO option is available to you and your eligible dependents. The plan provides you with access to two of the nation's largest networks of participating dentists.
- Short-Term Disability — Your short-term disability benefits are a company-paid benefit designed to provide you with continuing income if you cannot work due to a covered illness or injury. Employees may be eligible for up to 25 weeks of salary replacement.
- Long-Term Disability — You may be eligible for long-term disability benefits if you are totally disabled after 25 weeks on short-term disability.
- Employee Assistance Program — This innovative program provides the resources and expertise you need to deal with everything from the demands of everyday life to major life events. Employees and their family members are eligible to participate in our EAP Plan which provides confidential assessment, counseling services and referrals if necessary. It also offers financial services and legal discounts.
- Flexible Spending Accounts — FSAs are a great way to save money by providing a tax-free way to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses.
- Health Savings Account — With the HSA, you'll get many of the advantages of a Health Care FSA, plus more. The HSA is not available with all three plans choices.
- Group Life Insurance — PNNL
provides you with
Basic Life Insurance coverage equal
to 1-1/2 times your annual base salary,
which includes emergency travel
assistance services through Assist
America. Coverage increases with
each salary increase and decreases
after age 65 for active staff. You may
also choose to elect:
- Additional Life Insurance in the amount of 1 to 5 times your base salary (subject to a dollar maximum).
- Dependent Life Insurance in the amount of $5,000 or $10,000.
- Accident Insurance — Provides
you with financial protection, up to
$500,000, against covered hazards
when you travel on assignment for
the benefit of PNNL. You may also
choose to elect:
- Group Accident Insurance in the amount of $20,000 to $750,000 for yourself and/or your family. This is an optional plan that provides you with additional financial protection for yourself and your covered dependents in case of an accident.
For Your Future
PNNL believes in providing you with competitive and valuable benefits that will provide you with security during your retirement years. That's why PNNL offers both a defined benefit ("pension") and a defined contribution ("savings") plan to help you achieve your retirement income goals.
- Pension Plan — At age 65, is equal
to 1.2% multiplied by your highest
60 consecutive months average
salary multiplied by years of service
(40 years maximum).
- You automatically become a Pension Plan member upon salaried employment.
- You are 100% vested after 5 plan years of service.
- 401(k) Savings Plan — Offers multiple investment options in which you can
contribute 1 to 75% of your salary
on before-tax and/or after-tax basis.
PNNL will immediately match
50% of your first 7% of monthly
- Salaried staff may enroll immediately upon hire.
- You are 100% vested after 36 months of service.
For Your Career Development
In order to ensure that employees are fully utilizing their talents and have the skills they need to be effective, we offer:
- Tuition Reimbursement Program — Employees may be eligible to receive 100% reimbursement of tuition and certain fees for academic study. Course of study must align with PNNL's mission and be applicable to your current or anticipated job responsibility.
- Leadership & Staff Development Programs — Employees may be eligible to participate in one of PNNL's career development programs upon nomination by their manager.
Because PNNL recognizes that employees have active lives outside of work, PNNL offers paid holidays, and accrued vacation time.
Paid Time Off:
- Vacation — All employees immediately begin accruing two weeks paid vacation per year, with the opportunity to accrue up to a maximum of five weeks based on length of service.
- Holidays — All employees receive 8 fixed holidays, plus two staffdesignated floating holidays, per calendar year.
- Special Leave — Paid time off is available to you for
specific personal emergencies and
- Subject to management approval.
- Check with your manager for qualifying events.
- Sick Leave — Subject to supervisor and management approval.
- PNNL offers flexible working hours, including consideration for alternate work schedules.
- Telework is a flexible work option that is offered to almost all PNNL employees. It increases work-life balance, cost savings, and decreased commuting stresses on employees by having the option to work from home.
Well4Life: PNNL's wellness program, Well4Life, focuses on building and maintaining a healthy workforce that is dedicated to promoting the research agenda of PNNL by engaging the workforce in positive behaviors that promote personal wellness and healthy lifestyles. We offer a variety of programs and services that emphasize awareness, prevention and positive health changes, foster an environment that is supportive of healthy lifestyle choices, and provide knowledge and skills to maintain health and enhance work performance. Programs include fitness and health challenges with achievement awards to promote healthy behaviors, campus walking routes, an ergonomic program, seasonal influenza vaccines, health and wellness fairs, healthy eating and nutrition classes, and a Weight Watchers at Work program.
Life@PNNL: Life@PNNL isn't a program or a function but an overarching way to look at your total employee experience. From benefits to safety to career growth to maintaining a healthy work life balance, Life@PNNL impacts every aspect of your life at the Laboratory. Our wide-variety of offerings include: professional networks, social clubs and charity projects along with staff discounts, internal classified ads and lab-wide events.